Cliff ‘CliffyB’ Bleszinski revealed to us last night via the Internet (1UP.com), the TV (GameTrailers TV on Spike), and the 360 (via download) a solid 2+ minutes of gameplay from the sure to be massive hit, Gears of War 2.
Now most by now have seen the video. We watch a convoy of Derrick’s (A new type of C.O.G. transport) equipped with ‘Grindlifts’ which are basically make soldiers like paratroopers straight into the ground! The Humans need to get underground as the Locust now can create emergence holes that can sink entire cities! The convey faces huge Locust opposition punctuated by Brumak battles. While at first glance the game may look similar, but this trailer shows a lot of new techniques and situations that will be sure to expand on the experience. I have made a checklist of points to watch for or general points of interest from the video, here it is for your perusal:
- Swarms of Locust, literally dozens on screen
- I noticed Markus using a different assault rifle, it looks to be an upgraded Hammer Burst. It has large clip and longer barrel for accuracy. No chainsaw attached.
- Locust use grappling hooks to scale the Derricks
- Markus again sports a new weapon, this time it is a pistol-based design and is called the Gorgon Burst Pistol. It looks to have incredible stopping power. It feeds a quick, concentrated burst into your enemy. Four bursts before you require reload.
- A dropped enemy can be used as a human shield (ala Splinter Cell).
- The Lancer has a different aim / focus mechanism. It may be nothing or it may be some sort of upgrade.
- We briefly see a Centaur Tank in action, firing on a Brumak.
- Flip-saw finisher
- Lancer-duels, be sure to tap ‘B’ the fastest!
- Brumak’s die really good.
- A city in the mountains lie ahead.
Again in the Gears tradition, the game looks gorgeous, and while we didn’t see any new monsters, we can be sure their will be plenty more surprises. We are a mere six-months from release! If you spotted something in the video I did not, leave me a comment.