Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released this week, and with its release it has set a new benchmark for graphics in a FPS on consoles. But it isn’t just pretty, it also offers a lot under the hood with game modes, matchmaking, personalization, clans, etc. CoD4 rivals Halo 3 as the most complete shooter to date. Now some may prefer one over another, I say the best way is to enjoy both to the hilt as they are both amazing. I look forward to my CoD4 time over the next few weks as it is very fast and fresh, offering new experiences in this genre. If you are sitting on the fence about this game, just ask a friend who owns it and they will be sure to tell you this is a must have!
Staying with shooters, it has been said in the past that Xbox (classic or 360) are FPS machines. Now I do not believe that is far from the truth, as I look at my library the bulk of it is FPS’s, and while I myself did not start out as a shooter fan, with the flood of great titles in that genre that have followed I have quickly became an FPS guy! For fun, I am going to list the FPS games from my library and comment on each; on what I think makes them special to me. So here is SUPERGHOST’s Essential FPS List:
- Perfect Dark Zero: Co-op story, huge MP maps and battles, vs. ‘bots, and infection w/ Skeletons!
- Call of Duty 2: Gorgeous graphics, great 8 player action, awesome WWII weapons, bolt action, and Fun!
- Condemned-Criminal Origins: First of the story driven action-FPS’s, scary as hell, fun as hell, great AI.
- Quake 4: Fast and furious MP as only id knows how
- Ghost Recon-Advanced Warfighter: You feel you are in this city, squad tactics, and seperate co-op storyline for MP.
- Prey: Great Sci-Fi story with ‘portals’ and imaginative weapons.
- Gears of War: Best looking, best co-op story, franetic MP action with some of the coolest weapons in a military shooter and a tight cover system.
- Rainbow Six-Vegas: Best cover system, and maybe the best pure MP co-op and vs. of all the FPS’s, also the most underappreciated.
- Lost Planet-Extreme Condition: while way more 3rd than 1st person, unique ‘mech’s and weapons and a grappling hook, unique MP and great graphics.
- Ghost Recon-Advanced Warfighter 2: Pick up where GRAW1 left off, but with better…everyhing! Awesome squad tactics and brilliant graphics.
- The Darkness: Can anyone make a better story-based action FPS?
- Bioshock: Maybe 2K Boston. Game of the Year material with its incredible AI, weapons, story, and graphics, etc! Most immersive game yet.
- Halo 3: The most complete package. Does so much right, it is an FPS for everyone. Story, 4 player co-op, two-tierd matchmaking, Forge, film and pic editing…I could go on.
- The Orange Box: Another complete package that rivals Halo 3’s. Half-Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and Team Fortress. TOB will keep you usy for hours on end.
And that is just the FPS’s I own (DOOM XBLA?). Sometimes it may appear that FPS’s are all alike, but I can say that all the above games offered something unique and fresh every time. I am sure there will be even more great games to come. Next time I should do a most anticipated FPS list. Stay tuned, and till next time stay frosty!